HGd10PHB - Kind - Hobgoblin
Hobgoblins are the leaders, priests, and administrators of the Unbular. They are known for their wisdom, peace, and courage in the face of adversity.
Hobgoblins are on average taller and broader than humans, though many tend toward a roundness in the belly. They have broad ears similar in shape to humans, but that take up most of the side of their heads. Few have the green skin of other Unbular breeds and most tend toward reds and reddish-browns for their skin, but they can have any other color typical of the Unbular kind. Like Bugbears, they tend to have an abundance of hair that looks a lot like fur. A Hobgoblin's mane is considered a matter of pride for them.
A Hobgoblin's tusks are nearly as wide as an Ogre's, though they do not protrude much beyond their upper lips. They tend to be quiet, calm listeners, but can be jovial and boisterous when roused by good humor or news.
Hobgoblins live an average of 140 years.
Hobgoblins tend toward leadership roles within Unbular society, or at least positions that teach or guide others. Some become bards or teachers, but the majority become administrators, priests, or other such prominent positions. Other kinds also look to Hobgoblins as efficient government officials, especially with relationship to money as hobgoblins are well known for their honesty.
Key Characteristic: Spirit
Base Characteristic Maximums: +1 CON; +2 INT; +1 PRC; +2 PRS;+3 Spirit; +2 WIS
Skill Bonuses (BP):
+4 TP to any five of the following:
- Any 3 Body Spectrum Spells (counts as 1 of the 5 choices here) - External Source Only
- First Aid
- Sense Motive
Lowered XP Threshold: The above-chosen skills only require 4 XP to gain Trained Points instead of 5.
Traits & Foibles:
- Spectrum Affinity (Body)
- Leadership - Goblins: Hobgoblins have an almost supernatural connection to regular goblins. Most goblins in an organization (military, business, etc.) will typically look to hobgoblins for leadership. If a hobgoblin has a Government, Intimidate, or Persuade or similar skill with a Total Skill Bonus (TSB) that is higher than a goblin's Defiance skill, the goblins will follow the Hobgoblin's orders unless given a more powerful reason not to. If the Defiance TSB is higher, then a roll can be made for any individual or group of goblins using the highest Defiance TSB among them.
These Traits and Foibles do not count toward the Slot total.
Hobgoblins rarely seek the glory and hardship that heroics and adventuring call for. For those few who answer this call, they tend to serve as either healers for their group, focused on keeping everyone alive, or as historians who tag along on the adventure to record the momentous events. For those groups fortunate to have a hobgoblin along, they have a loyal companion that seeks only to support their efforts.
- Hero's Guild Players Handbook Home
- Chapter 1 - Creature Kinds
- Chapter 2 - Primary Characteristics
- Chapter 3 - Skills
- Chapter 4 - Traits and Foibles
- Chapter 5 - Physical Combat Skills
- Chapter 6 - Mystical Skills
- Chapter 7 - Equipment
- Chapter 8 - Crafting
- Chapter 9 - Knowledge Social and Movement Skills
- Chapter 10 - Optional Classes
- Chapter 11 - Rules of Engagement